Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Current Project: Martha Stewarts Vogue Knitting Cover Cowl


When I first saw Martha Stewart on the cover of Vogue Knitting, I figured it was time I purchased my first Vogue Knitting Magazine. I simply ADORE Martha Stewart and her craftiness. I then looked through all the gorgeous patterns in the magazine but, decided I wanted to knit the cowl that Martha was rocking because she is awesome and the pattern was gorgeous.

The designer for this cowl is Kristin Ohmdahl and she designs the most beautiful pieces that you can imagine!!! Check her out--->

It wasn't hard for me to choose the yarn for this project because I had been wanting to use Red Heart's Aran Fleck for awhile. And I always felt that cables looked best with natural colors (think ivory, white, oatmeal, etc.)

{{Side Note: I know that many hate acrylic out there and that is fine because we all have our likes and dislikes. But, I mainly use acrylic yarn because it fits my budget. Its also great for my skin because I suffer with eczema. Also, the colors and options are crazy. So, I prefer yarns with acrylic and/or cotton. Ok, I'm ending that soap box.}}

I started on this cowl in December 2011 and I have been working on it off and on. I think its a great pattern that requires some concentration--definitely not mindless knitting.

Here's a story for you: One Friday night, I thought I would have a movie marathon and work on this cowl. Well, obviously I was into my the movies more than my knitting because I had 3 miscrossed cables by the end of the night :-/ Fixing cables when they are some rows down can be a PAIN. So, I went to bed around midnight and I couldn't get the miscrossed cables out of my mind. I got back up reached for my Stitch N' B---- Superstar Knitting book and read the section on miscrossed cables. Wasn't really feeling that method.  So, I googled it and then I used the Yarn Harlot's method of fixing cables the embroidery way and I was pleased :-) I still have to fix 2 more miscrossed cables but, I think I will do it during the finishing. The lesson learned was that I am one of those people who can't stand miscrossed cables. I really couldn't get it out of my mind that entire night. I may have even dreamed about those miscrossed cables taunting me. LOL!

I am about 45% done with this pattern and I will be aiming for finishing it by the first week in March. The sad thing is I didn't even get a chance to wear it this winter. But, honestly this winter had been so mild in Alabama that the opportunity never would've arose. I made myself and my mother these crochet cowls that I simply adore. I only got to wear the cowl about 3 times this winter :-(

My progress pictures below:
The cowl is so much longer than this now but, I haven't taken any recent pics. I have about 22 inches done and the pattern requires 29 inches.
This is a good shot of my 3 miscrossed cables. Oh, how I hate em :-(
This is a picture of the correct miscrossed cable. (It's the one in the middle row in the center of that row.) It doesn't look exactly like the others but, it'll work :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment